Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ocholalis, chuchuquen, and other cute words!

Christopher is now 2 1/2 years old, and it seems everyday he adds new words to his vocabulary! Just a few weeks ago, I wanted to make sure we were on the right track with his language ability. We are bilingual, and I wanted to make sure he was learning both English and Spanish to his advantage.

A speech therapist came to do a free evaluation, and almost as soon as she walked through the door she could tell Christopher was fine. But she went through all the questions, and evaluated his interaction with us and with her.

I thank God that her evaluation reassured us (me) that he was more than fine. His language ability is above average for his age. Praise God! Thank you, Lord!

I had been concerned that it seems as though his vocabulary is 50% English/50% Spanish. But she said that he is "code switching" between the languages and that's perfectly normal. :) YAY!

One cute thing that happened during the evaluation:

She asked us how many words he knows. I don't know! So Adam and I started saying out loud all the words we know he uses:

Mama, Papa, Abuelayabuelo (for all 4 grandparents), water, TV, Cars, Truck, Chuchuquen (choo choo train), titoagua (for ba~nito con agua/bathtime), ocholalis (chocolate---for chocolate milk), leche, pan, tena (avena/oatmeal), chukuman (superman), batman, lollipot (emphasis on the "t"!), jugo, pititas (for papitas/french fries), hammer, bob (bob the builder), wall-e (he doesn't really like wall-e), Thomas (the train), Max & Ruby, Dora, Diego (and pretty much all other PBS and Noggin characters)...

All of a sudden, Christopher interrupted us and said "Jesus loves me"!

How could we forget those most important words?!

We all laughed, and I was extremely proud. My son's first "evangelism" experience--sharing his love for Jesus with the speech therapist.

Thank you, Lord, for a loving son...who is learning to love you, too.

Coppe

No comments: